Saturday, January 7, 2012

Not So Domestic Goddess

My new house doesn't have a dishwasher. Anyone who knew me questioned whether this would be an issue. Dishes are perhaps my least favorite chore. I would rather give a cat a bath before lifting a dish rag. However, I refused to even consider the thought of this being a problem. The rest of the house was just so perfect. How could I let a little detail like easy cleaning stand in the way of my new home?

I was going without in other areas that seemed much more severe. No wireless Internet, no cable, no microwave, and a washer and dryer that required me to go outside and around the back to an exterior basement entrance. A dishwasher was the least of my worries.

It came as a surprise to many that not only was doing the dishes by hand not even close to being a problem... I actually liked doing the dishes. For whatever reason, I began to find it relaxing. There have been many instances of baking days or large meals, where I insist on doing the dishes myself. Allowing my friends to get on their merry way (before I was a strict believer of the cook/ clean trade off... "I cooked, you clean").

This week it finally occurred to me why I've become such a fan of the once dreaded chore. I had candles lit, designer soap in the sink, a tall glass of wine beside me, and Gaga singing me on. This wasn't cleaning. This was my new form of therapy. And thanks to the fun dish gloves given to me as a gift (this things merely looked cute on the shelf before) doing the dishes was nothing more than pushing some soap around in the sink.

I have no idea how long this cleaning delirium will continue. But I've decided to enjoy every last pot, pan, and dish until the end.

No comments: