Monday, January 14, 2013

Ruminations on the Globes

I love the Golden Globes for so many reasons. It kicks off award season, it forecasts the likely winners for "the big night", and it gives Matt and I a reason to drink a bottle of champers on a Sunday night.

While I was clad in my couture Eastern Eagles sweatshirt and vintage Uggs, here's what Hollywood was wearing.

I was a fan of this duo and their opening gowns. Watch for more deep V's this season.
The ta-tas were in full force and Hollywood Tape is profiting!

Kate Hudson in Alexander McQueen. LOVE everything about this.
The entire look is perfection. 


Kristen Wiig ups the ante with a deep V and cut out. She looked phenomenal.
I personally also thought this bit was hilarious.
I'm not so sure all their "peers" felt the same way.
Jessica Chastain's Calvin Klein deep cut dress looked great on the show. I'm loving the mint color too!
Sadly none of the photos I've seen do it justice.
I hear ya sister. Sometimes great fashion choices do best with movement.
PS Is that Molly Shannon photo bombing you?

Lucy Liu received some flack for her floral Carolina Herrera.
I for one, thinks it's great. Perhaps it is a tad like my nana's drapes,
but with a very glamorous "country French" Marie Antoinette flair.
Plus it was completely unlike any other gown there. Kudos for originality!
Anne Hathaway had the opposite problem as Jessica Chastain. She looks like the definition of class in photos,
but on stage last night all I could think was "body cast!"
Anne, I love you. You're amazing. I was sad to hear you
broke your body and had to arrive in plaster.
I imagine a conversation between these two sounded something like:
A: Congrats! You look so lovely in person.
J: Congrats to you too! And you're so photogenic!
A: Erm, yes, I am. It's too bad about your dress and the photo issue
J: Together we make the best and worst look of the evening
A: Besties! Let's stick together all night and cancel each other out. The media will never be the wiser
J: Deal!
Jodie Foster looked quite lovely last night. If only my TV had been on mute. She was my least favorite moment of the show.
Did she come out? Was she telling us she already had? Did she quit acting? Is she becoming a dog trainer?
So many words, yet what did she really say? When did the Cecil B Demille award become a personal political platform?
Let's reminisce. I loved this photo that Assouline Publishers shared on FB today.
Here is Audrey Hepburn receiving the same award in 1990.
Her speech? "I've been given a career which has brought me fun, friends, and happiness. And for that I get an award! I owe so much to so many...."
Now that, my friends, is pure class.

I don't really know who Lena Dunham is. Apparently she's on a great HBO show called Girls. Since I haven't yet seen it, I only know of her from her funny Vanity Fair article. Her dress was nice, but I was too distracted by her tats. I know this makes me a hypocrite, but I have always subscribed to the tattoo mantra: "Don't get anything you can't hide in a wedding dress." Or in her case, award dress.
Last but not least is Michelle Dockery in Alexandre Vauthier.
I adore her and her cast mates in Downton Abbey and it's so refreshing to see her in current style.
I thought this gown was Oscar worthy. Well played Miss Dockery!

No comments: