Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"My Motherboard, My Self"

Remember the Sex and the City episode when Carrie's computer crashes? No one can believe that she's never backed up her files, and she ends up taking her beloved laptop to the repair shop wrapped up in a pashmina... Welcome to a glimpse of my life.
http://www.hbo.com/city/episode/season4/episode56.shtml

The DVD drive in my computer has been on the fritz for about a week, and just today the entire laptop decided to quit acknowledging any sort of command I would give it (open a program, save a file, shut down)
Luckily the laptop is still under warranty and anything that may need to be replaced is covered. Anything meaning hardware. Apparently after about 45 minutes on the phone with Dell via some outsourced location, software is not covered in the warranty. Of course after diagnostic tests, I found out the hardware is just fine, its my software.

I am about as attached to my laptop as most people are to their children. I literally never leave home without it. It matches just about every outfit I own, travels well, and most importantly is the connection to my world (insert "my HP" celeb ad here)
Until things have been worked out, I think I will learn from Carrie's mistakes. I am backing up all files, wrapping good ol' Pinky in a lovely cashmere wrap, and keeping my fingers crossed I don't get any sour faced icons :S

No comments: