Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pinterest Projects: Green Onions

This experiment combined two pins in one.
The first was the suggestion to chop all green onions in a bunch at the same time. Dry them and keep them in an empty water bottle in the freezer. It allows you to keep the entire bunch usable, as they come in large quantities at the store, but most recipes only call for a few stalks.



The second was to place the leftover white stems in a small cup of water and set near a sunny window (sun is a bit of a tall order in Seattle these days). Supposedly, the green onions would begin to grow again. The original stems could be used indefinitely for new onions.

The first idea works great except for one thing. Make sure the chopped onions have dried completely before freezing. (This was instructed in the pin, I just seem to have issues following directions) I didn't find that it creates freezer burn as warned, but it makes the onions impossible to use for anything but a cooked dish (no salads, sandwiches, etc).

The second idea went exactly as promised! I feel like a 6th grader with a science project again. The onions literally started growing the afternoon I "re-planted" them. My guess is there is a two week growing cycle before the onions are usable. But with all my frozen onions, I probably won't need any before then.


These pins aren't exactly saving me a ton of moola. But it feels nice to be resourceful. And truth be told, green onions, like cilantro, basil, and other leafy herbs, are one of those things I've always had to throw away before using them all because of wilting in the fridge. At least now, I can feel less wasteful and have something close to a live plant in my house again.

1 comment:

Rory O'Rourke said...

You put green onions on sandwiches? What kind of sandwiches?